What happens when you encounter a potential attacker? Well, this happens many times and we find ourselves frustrated with our incapacity to handle the looming danger.
It is not that we don’t want to fight but our instinct for self-preservation rears its head and stops us dead in the tracks. But when worse come to worst, you have to defend yourself anyway.
This article enumerates the best form of self defense for real life situations. If you take these tips, you can be sure that you can protect yourself and your loved ones in any situation.
What Is Self Defense?
Self-defense is the act of defending oneself physically or intellectually. This can be done by several methods that can either injure or kill your attacker.
If you are in any way capable of it, it is very advisable to use some means of self-defense for real-life situations. In some countries, self-defense is legalized as a means of protecting yourself from danger.
Best Form Of Self Defense For Real Life Situations
Martial arts are a system of self-defense that has been developed over the centuries. There are so many different forms, each with its own sets of techniques, strategies, and principles for efficient fighting.
Some focus more on physical fitness while others emphasize spiritualism to unbalance the opponent’s psyche. But in the end, martial arts training trains the mind and the body to react in a stressful situation.
Some of the common Martial Arts to consider include Karate, Kung fu, Taekwondo, Judo, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, Aikido, and Muay Thai among others. Within these styles, countless techniques and strategies could be utilized to defend yourself in a real-life situation.
Self Defense Tools
These are devices that are designed to increase the chances of survival in dangerous situations. Some examples include pepper sprays, stun guns, tactical pens, pocket knives, self defense keychains, and defender rings.
These devices will be effective when they are used appropriately when your safety is at risk. They act as equalizers between you and your attacker and allow for a faster response time.
Most self defense tools are not designed to kill but rather to incapacitate your attacker. When you use them appropriately, you’ll get an opportunity to escape from an assailant.
Understanding Weakest Points of Human Body to Target
In any self defense situation, you have to understand where to target your attacker from. You can research on the internet or take a self-defense course to know which targets are most effective for defending yourself.
However, some of the most effective spots include:-
1) Eyes – gouging out eyes is one of the quickest ways to stop an attacker. All you need to do is press your thumbs deep into the sockets and drag them across the face of your attacker.
2) Adam’s Apple – if you target the throat, it will cause an interruption of breathing thus creating a temporary suffocation effect. A hard blow with a closed fist can break the larynx and stop an assailant.
3) Groin – this is one of the most popular targets that causes pain and restricts movement if hit correctly. Without strength in his legs, your attacker will not be able to chase after you if you escape.
4) Solar Plexus – near the stomach area, striking with a closed fist can cause damage to the stomach and esophagus. If you hit it hard, an opponent will be forced to bend over or double up in pain making him an easy target for further attacks.
5) Knees – if you manage to strike your assailant in the knees with a sidekick, he won’t be able to chase you after running away. The lack of stability will result in a major disadvantage to the fight.
6) Ears – by grabbing your attacker’s ears, you can pull as hard as possible and cause them some discomfort or pain. It’s also an easy way of dragging someone along with you if entered from behind on their blind spot.
Why Should You Train Self-Defense?
If your instinct for self-protection is very strong, then you should train in the best method of self defense to enable you to protect yourself in any situation. People make several mistakes while handling a dangerous situation which can be detrimental to their physical safety.
While common sense tells us what is right in a certain situation, it is not always easy to use this when you are in immediate danger. However, self-defense training will make you more aware of the correct methods of handling any struggle or encounter.
As with anything else in life, if you give time and energy to something then there are rewards for doing so. It might not be easy to train for self-defense, but the return you will get is worth it.
Even if you are in a peaceful neighborhood with no serious crimes, your chances of being hurt or accosted on the street are still high. By training, you stand the best chance of avoiding trouble and handling any situation appropriately so that you can come out of it unharmed or with the least physical damage possible.
What Should You Train For?
1) Becoming aware of your surroundings and any potential dangers – some people get distracted and miss key signs of danger which is why it’s important to keep yourself in a guarded state.
2) Learning to use your voice and body – this is about using specific moves and gestures designed to deter a potential attacker.
3) Knowing how to make the right decisions – you need to be aware of what is happening around you and with the situation at hand before making any decision. Making bad choices under pressure can lead to bigger problems.
4) Avoiding potential threats – there are various ways that you can steer clear of danger without having to deal with an unpleasant situation. This is one of the most effective forms of self-defense as it will be used to prevent an attack rather than reacting after one has started.
Best Form Of Self Defense For Real Life Situations – Conclusion
There are several ways to efficient self-defense, and the best way for you will depend on your physical strength, size, weight, and training. You can also learn mental techniques that will help you get through difficult situations.
The most important thing is to take the time to train so that when it comes to a dangerous situation, everything falls into place automatically, and you can protect yourself in the best way possible.
As with anything, practice makes perfect so get started right away by training regularly and following these simple rules that will give you all the basics for self-defense. Once you’ve built up your confidence and abilities, you’ll be able to handle any attack or threat that comes your way.